Thursday, December 14, 2006

The King

Jack “King” Kirby.

I finally broke down and bought Essential Fantastic Four vol. 1, collecting the first twenty or so issues from the early 60's.

It’s blasphemy, but until this week, I had never read a comic drawn by Kirby, and had only been exposed to his work in bits and pieces, or through verbal description of his greatness. And I honestly didn't get it.

Now I get it. This dude could draw. "No shit," all the comic folks would say. Well, better late than never. How this guy could design so many characters, monsters, and machines while pencilling multiple books at the same time is astounding. And the drawing is rock solid.

But hey, I'm the last guy on earth to figure this out, right?

Anyway, reading Kirby made me like the Fantastic Four, so I drew them this week. Just a sketch, so no rendered shadows or anything, I tried to focus on structure. You can't hide bad structure in a line drawing. I reinterpreted their costumes a bit, but for the most part they’re pretty true to the originals.I know Sue's hands are a little funny, but my thinking was that in the finished, inked drawing, they'd be starting to go invisible. Torch's legs are a little funny too. Overall, I think it's a pretty good sketch.

-J

No comments: