Monday, November 12, 2007

Catching the Wave...

Just did a job for the Miami Herald. It's for the cover of their "Business Monday" insert section. Here's the illo:

I thought it came out really well. I was trying some new things inking-wise with this one, specifically with regards to the water, and I was pretty happy with the results.

Here it is in context:

It's a bit crowded, and they appear to have saturated the colours a bit, but it still came out pretty well. There was a miscommunication in their office about the deadline, so given the timeframe, it could have been much worse.

The article is about how Florida has had to re-invent its economy several times, finding new ways to keep people going there. The wave is possibly about to crush the surfer (economy about to collapse), but also possibility of surfer riding it out (catching the new wave). Some of the other sketches were more conceptual, but this one had the most visual energy, and the art director thought it would look good executed in my style.

I'm working on some other stuff too, but I have to wait until it's published before posting. In the meantime, I hope this is interesting :D -J

No comments: